Friday, 9 January 2009

Hawfinch at Lunch?


I had to visit the bank in Alnwick today so with 45 minutes to spare I thought I'd drop in to Hulne Park and check for Hawfinch. I have never had much luck with this species at this location but they have been reliably reported over the years.
On arrival my first bird was a Treecreeper with an identity crisis as it was creeping around the stone gatehouse feeding in the crevices. About to stroll through the entrance I noticed the signs "Hulne Park Closed to General Public Today", luckily the well stocked feeding station at the entrance continues to pull in the birds so over the next few minutes I had a Nuthatch, several Coal Tit, Blue Tit, Great Tit and Chaffinch as well as a confiding Red Squirrel and a couple of female Pheasant.
Just north of here I stopped at the River Aln to check for Dipper but dipped, a single Great Spotted Woodpecker my only reward.
The absence of Common Buzzard was possibly more notable than seeing one would have been.
images courtesy and copyright NE Wildlife.

No comments: